Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Day That Will Live in Infamy...

On this day, March 4th, 2008, the greatest quarterback in the history of the Green Bay Packers organization and possibly the National Football League, Brett Favre, at age 38 is finally walking away from the game of football, ending his streak of 253 consecutive starts.

After 17 seasons, 160 regular season wins as a starter, 442 passing TDs, 61,655 passing yards, 5 league MVPs and one Super Bowl win, Brett is taking his all-time record-breaking career and riding off into the sunset.

I grew up watching this man play the game I love in a way that displayed his undying love for the game as well. His fun-loving demeanor attracted friend and foe alike, his charisma and down-to-earth attitude was familiar to thousands of fans across the country, and his winner-take-all, gunslinger mentality produced the better part of two decades of winning football in Green Bay, WI.

Forever known as the NFL's Ironman, Favre will go down in history as one of the toughest and fiercest competitors professional football has ever known. His talent, humor, personality, leadership, desire and unique style and flair made him one of the most beloved players in NFL history.

While many across America were shocked upon hearing the news of Favre's retirement, I was simply heartbroken. The man to whom I owe my fanhood was retiring from the game I love, and walking away from the team I . So, as a tribute to my favorite athlete of all-time, and in honor of the Great #4, I'll be posting four of my favorite Favre memories everyday for the next 4 days.


Upon reading the news early this morning and hopelessly attempting to come-to-grips with a world without Favre, I did the only thing that made sense, the only thing that a tough guy or real ironman could do... I cried.

Please come back Brett, we love you.

3 comments:

chocoholic said...

We feel the same...football will not be the same without Favre. We will be sad next year, but forever and always Packer fans!

cs said...

Well done, Kodison. I am sorry for your loss. In all seriousness, I felt the same way when Mr. Rogers died.

ld said...

cs, there's a difference…this guy's not dead…he's just fading away…