Thursday, June 4, 2009

Birthdays... So Easy, A Caveman Can Do It.

Happy Birfday to me! It wasn't the greatest birthday I've ever had... my wife and mom weren't there, so automatically it can't be in the discussion for greatest ever. That said, it was pretty darn good.

I called Megs at midnight last night to sing "Happy Birthday" to her, and she seemed to enjoy it... or at least that's what I translated the snoring to be. Then she called me a few hours later to sing to me as I woke up!

I wasn't sure as to how my day would go, but I knew things were looking up when I got to work and found my cubicle like this!

Birthday Cubicle!

My supervisor got in early this morning and decorated my desk with banners and everything (the green & gold ribbon was on purpose BTW. She knows I'm a Packer fan and needless to say, I was very impressed), and even dropped off a pink box full of DONUTS! They were the perfect way to start my day!

The presentations we were meant to do this morning were rescheduled, so that was a bit frustrating, but we spent the rest of the day going through applications with the hiring team and I really enjoyed learning how GEICO recruits employees, along with the characteristics and experience that they look for in candidates.

My internship has been nothing short of awesome so far. Everyone is very open and helpful, and the projects that we'll be working on look to be exciting, and give me an opportunity to give meaningful feedback and contribute to the office here. We've spent a lot of time in various training situations (workplace policies, benefits, etc.) but we've had opportunities to meet most of the managers and directors of the office here and even the Assistant VP (The Boss).

My fellow interns are really great people as well. My roommate Cody is from the University of Wisconsin and wished me "Happy Birthday" about 100 times today. He's a great guy and we seem to get along just fine.

Cody & Kody

The other two interns are really nice girls from the University of Arizona here in Tucson, and Ashland University in Ohio. All three of the other interns are bright and we seem to work well together.

After coming home tonight, I made myself a true feast: chicken alfredo pasta with a garden salad, topped off with "lots o' pulp" orange juice. I'm no fine cuisinier, but I must say, it was
hecka good.

Proof of my amazing cooking exploits

And lastly, I of course can't forget... Megs gave me one present to bring down to Tucson, and made me PROMISE not to open until today.

What is it might you ask?

Well, it's written and directed by my favorite actor ever.

Tom Hanks.

And it's a movie that recently, I have been quoting ever-more frequently.

"Off he goes to write his new hit song, Alone In My Principles."

"What are you crazy?! A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Gimme a pen, I'm signin', you're sig- we're all signing!"

"Oh I'm not wit 'dese fellas. I've got a pig in competition over in the livestock pavilion, and I'm gonna WIN that blue ribbon!"

"Well, I like Wisconsin..."

Yep, you guessed it.

That Thing You Do!

So as the clock approaches midnight and the end of yet another June 4th draws nigh... thanks to all who made my birthday special, even though those who are most special to me are far away.

Happy Birthday Megs! I Love You!

2 comments:

Megs said...

Glad you had such a great birthday...you sure do deserve it!! Love you sweetheart!

Sonja said...

Happy Birtthday Kody!! Wow, it sounds like you are having a great time in Arizona.