Monday, August 17, 2009

A Paradigm Shift in the Blogosphere

In 1962, Thomas Kuhn authored The Structure of Scientific Revolution, and fathered, defined and popularized the concept of "paradigm shift." While widely used today, if you aren't familiar with the term, think of it as a change from one way of thinking to another. It's a revolution, a transformation, a sort of metamorphosis. It does not just happen, but rather it is driven by agents of change.

Perhaps that is why I'm having such a difficult time starting this post. You see, recently I've been struggling to blog on a consistent basis (as I'm sure you're well aware), and after much self-reflection I believe to have discovered why. While suggestions, critiques and feedback from others can be valuable to one who is looking to improve or change for the better, often it is the honest, unabashed self-evaluations that prove to be the most effective proponents of change.

As a result of all the change that's been going on during the last few months (end of school, moving, internship in Tucson, missing the wife, vacation, family reunion, etc.), my blog has become more of a travel log/diary than anything. While that is all fine-and-well, it has ceased being a rewarding outlet of expression, instead turning into a taxing chore. Looking back, I blogged most actively when doing movie reviews, talking about my favorite hobbies, things that drive me crazy or why I love my Megs.

Therefore the travel log must end, and the blogging must start once again! This will not be an easy process, nor a painless one at that, however in order to protect the integrity of this blog and my cyber-sanity, it must be done.

Megs is a stronger blogger than I am, and she does a fantastic job of documenting where we're going, what we're doing, etc... so if you wish to keep up with all that, then keep up with her here. As for me, I can't do it. I won't do it.

Every time I sit down to write to the world, I am met with the same burdensome challenge; one whose consequences shape the very essence of my attempt to project my person to you readers.

I must blog my life, rather than blogging about it.


Paradigm shifted.



bt-dubs: Speaking of the amazing things that Megs is up to. Do you remember that craft giveaway contest she did a while back? Well if you haven't heard, she finished all the prizes and mailed them to the winners. Check out her craft blog, megscraft.blogspot.com, to see what she made!

2 comments:

ld said...

Glad to hear you explain that paradigm thing…many people have the misconception that it meant…when a two bit outfit lost a nickel and then became a pair of dimes.

cs said...

Deep socks, deep socks. I hate it when I'm out-deeped:)