Saturday, May 16, 2009

Becoming a BYU Student...

To think that I've attended the Y for 3 straight years and completed a total of 98 credits, and yet last night, I finally became a true BYU student. That's right, last night I hiked up the 1.2 mile path to the Y; my first-ever trek up Y Mountain. Why has it taken me so long?

Because I don't like the idea of a big letter on the hill? No. Even though the "letter on the hill" idea is SO overdone in Utah, the Y is the best and biggest of them all.

Because I think it's ugly? Heck no. I love looking up at the Y while on my way to class. I just wish they'd light it up at night more often.

Because it's a friggin' long way up a really steep path that covers 1.2 miles and 1200 feet of elevation? Yep.

Around 9 pm last night, Megs found the bizarre (and extremely disheartening) itch to suddenly climb the Y.

"Kody, you wanna climb the Y with me tonight?"

"No."

"But you've never climbed it before!"

"You're right, and I've been going to BYU for 3 years now. Do you think that's by accident?"

"You're a bum. Let's go."


So off we went into the dark, and climbed the Y. Thank goodness it was night, or otherwise I might have melted right into the mountain. 40 minutes later, we were at the top and looking out over Provo. It was really cool actually, and I must admit, was definitely worth doing once. So thank you Megs. Thanks for dragging my lazy behind all the way up that mountain. :)

You can read Megs' version of the story here.

Please leave your "Climbing the Y" experiences in the comments below!

5 comments:

cs said...

I have not climbed the Y yet. But it's on my bucket list. You are a good boy to give in to your wifey's cajoling:)

Mum said...

OK, I admit it...I climbed the Y as a deer-in-the-headlights wide-eyed freshman...48 years ago! It was the year LIFE magazine covered the story...'covered' being the key word here, as those were the 'whitewash' days. I also came back with a rusty nail in my instep and hobbled to the Health Center for a tetanus shot! Aaaaah, the memories...

DrNuke said...

Kurt and I never climbed it in all our 5 years at the Y... we're losers!

Mackenzie Sue said...

I guess I'm still not a Y student, because I haven't climbed it yet. Hopefully soon I can talk Brig into climbing it with me. But you are a very good husband to give into all of Meghan's bizarre itches.

Megs said...

"bizarre itches" What is that about Kenz?? :0) lol!

yes, you are a VERY nice hubs for giving in and hiking the Y with me. I wub you!