Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day! What originally started as a day to honor Union soldiers who had fallen in battle during the Civil War, Memorial Day here in America is a time for everyone who enjoys the blessings of freedom to honor and remember ALL the men and women who have given their lives in the service of our country.

I can not begin to relate to the dedication and sacrifice of the men and women who have died in battle; nor to their families who's great losses overshadow any hardships that I have endured.

As anything that I might say would likely resound empty or somewhat meaningless, in light of the my own personal experiences, I feel that the words of President Abraham Lincoln, written to a Mrs. Baxby of Boston (as quoted in Saving Private Ryan), better emulate my feelings of gratitude and indebtedness on this day.

"Dear Madam: I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Yours very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln."

I hope that somewhere, in some way, my heartfelt adulation and love will be felt by all those whom we honor this day. And to all the men and women currently serving in the military around the world today, who will likely never read my words, or the words of millions of other Americans...

We thank you.

We love you.

God bless you.

0 comments: